Your COVID-Safe Visit
Image: Ian Laidlaw
Welcome back to The Malthouse. The safety, welfare, and experience of everyone who enters our venue is our highest priority.
We recognise that during this time, it is our duty to protect our community—you, your family, friends, and neighbours. Here, at The Malthouse, our team is always looking out for you!
The Malthouse is a COVID-Safe venue. We cut no corners. We have introduced strict safety and hygiene measures in line with Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services guidelines to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. We continue to regularly monitor all government updates to ensure our procedures reflect current directives.
Please note that the safety measures below may be updated, so please check this page again prior to your visit. To make your experience as seamless and enjoyable as possible, we ask that you take your time to read the information below to best prepare you for your visit to The Malthouse, Malthouse Outdoor Stage, and Because The Night.
Together, we can keep everyone safe. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- Please do not visit if you have been asked to isolate due to COVID-19 by a State Health Authority.
- Ensure your contact information is up to date. Log in to your existing online account or create a new account here. Check all your account details are current so you can receive your e-Tickets and in case we need to contact you before or after your visit
- Preorder your food if you are seeing a show from MALT Kitchen & Pantry here:
- Pack your fitted mask. We encourage you to wear a mask when you are unable to socially distance from others. Visitors with a medical exemption are not required to wear a mask
- Travel to the venue by car if possible to avoid contact with others on public transport. See here for detailed parking information in the precinct
- Consider downloading the COVID-Safe app for contact tracing purposes
WHILE YOU ARE HERE
- Wear a fitted mask when you are unable to socially distance from others. Visitors with a medical exemption are not required to wear a mask
- Register for contact tracing if your visit is longer than 15 minutes or you are dining in. You must register your contact details via the QR code
- Follow the instructions of our trained staff at all times during your visit. Please remember, our staff are here to keep you safe, so please be kind and patient
- Practice social distancing at all times. Maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 metres from others, avoid mingling, queue where indicated, and follow instructions from staff
- Regularly hand sanitise or wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with hot water and soap
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow while wearing your mask
- Pay attention to signs and physical distancing floor markers to guide you safely around the venue
Please note, patrons who do not comply with these conditions or follow the instructions of our staff will be refused entry and asked to leave to ensure the safety of all visitors, artists, and staff.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
- Regular professional cleaning of high contact surfaces and shared public facilities
- Physically distanced seating in all indoor and outdoor venue spaces
- Reduced capacity in all venue spaces
- Real-time occupancy counters installed to manage capacity in bathrooms
- Hand sanitising stations and handwashing facilities provided throughout our venue
- Cashless payments only at The Malthouse Bar and MALT Kitchen & Pantry
- Pre-ordering available via Mr Yum here for dining in and takeaway orders to minimise queuing
- Acrylic safety screens installed at The Malthouse Bar, MALT Kitchen & Pantry, and Box Office to minimise contact
- e-Tickets sent to your email to show ushers upon entering the theatre and reduce queuing at Box Office
- Commercial-grade sterilisation of all glasses, dishes, and cutlery. Environmentally-friendly disposable cutlery and cups are also available
- Clear physical distancing markers and signage to help guide you safely through the venue
- Trained staff to assist you, who are familiar with all COVID-19 safety and hygiene protocols
- Increased air circulation to promote fresh clean air in all indoor spaces
The venue is professionally cleaned on a regular schedule. All high contact surfaces including doors, tables, rails, chairs, and shared public facilities are thoroughly disinfected.
Social distancing is encouraged at all times. We have installed real-time occupancy counters in all bathrooms, and floor markers at The Malthouse Bar, MALT Kitchen & Pantry, and the Box Office for queuing. Our staff are monitoring social distancing to keep everyone safe.
Please maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 metres from others, avoid mingling, queue where indicated, and follow instructions from staff.
Malthouse Outdoor Stage
We encourage you to wear a mask when you are unable to socially distance from others. Visitors with a medical exemption are not required to wear a mask.
Yes. You must check in if you are at The Malthouse for longer than 15 minutes. There is a QR code sign stationed at each entrance of The Malthouse. We are facilitating the check in requirement on behalf of the Victorian Government. All data is stored securely and destroyed after a 28 day period. The data is used for contact tracing purposes only.
Please do not visit The Malthouse if you feel unwell. Stay home and get tested. View Malthouse Theatre’s Returns and Exchanges policy here.
If you have been asked to self-isolate before an event, please email the Box Office to arrange an alternative event date. Please view our Returns and Exchanges policy here.
If you are displaying cold or flu-like symptoms after attending an event, please contact the Department of Health and Human Services 24-hour hotline 1800 675 398 or call your doctor and mention your symptoms and risk factors. They will determine if you need to be tested for coronavirus (COVID-19).
We will send you a text message and/or email to your supplied mobile phone number or email address notifying you of the cancellation as far in advance as possible. Ensure your contact information is up to date by logging into your online account here.
If an event is cancelled, you will be offered a full refund or the option to move into an alternative date if one is available.
Malthouse Outdoor Stage
We recommend bringing a fitted mask, a hat, and a raincoat just in case. Masks are no longer mandatory, but we strongly recommend that you wear a fitted mask whenever you cannot maintain 1.5 metres distance from others. At least one member of your group should have a mobile phone so you can access your e-Ticket, check in for contact tracing purposes, and order food. Please approach the Box Office if you cannot locate your e-Ticket.
We do not have a cloakroom. Please do not bring valuable belongings, large items or bags.
Because The Night
$1 coin return lockers are available in The Malthouse foyer. For change please see the bar. Belongings can be stored before your performance commences. They are not suitable for oversized belongings.
We have made significant changes to our ticketing policy to ensure the safety of everyone who visits The Malthouse and provide more flexibility for refunds and exchanges for patrons that have been asked to self-isolate. View Malthouse Theatre’s ticket information here.
You will be emailed your e-Tickets in your order confirmation email at the time of purchase.
Please ensure your email address is up to date in your account here so you can receive your e-Tickets. Check your Junk/Spam folder if it does not arrive directly into your inbox.
Yes. The indoor all-gender, female, and accessible bathrooms are open for use. Real-time occupancy counters have been installed to advise visitors when each bathroom is at full capacity. Please ensure you practice social distancing in the bathrooms and clean your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds before exiting.
We are currently not accepting bookings for The Malthouse's theatre spaces. We are now accepting bookings for rehearsal spaces. Please contact email@example.com to make an enquiry about The Malthouse's rehearsal spaces.