* Because The Night is currently only available to Malthouse Muses and Malthouse Mates on presale. Tickets will go on general sale 9am Wednesday, 10 February.*
Something is unfolding here in Elsinore. For weeks the strikes have been intensifying—but there’s a new mood tonight as Carnival approaches. There’s a vivid sense of an era ending—a new age opening up. The timber workers feel it… and the royals too. Inside the palace there are whispers… the King’s death, the grinning Queen, the agitated Prince… And the ancient forest is wild again, groaning—restless... It seems to me that everything is part of a broader picture—that no matter where you look, it will tell the whole wicked story.
In a landmark production of unmissable storytelling, Malthouse Theatre launches an immersive theatre work on a scale never seen before in Australia. An entire world has been constructed for you to explore: follow the royals through the palace, roam the length of a town on the cusp of the digital age, or sift through the drawers of a single desk. Whatever you choose, a story will play out around you of a regime on the edge of collapse. You are a silent witness in the halls of power on a pivotal night in history. Move, venture deeper, listen closely, because the night will soon be lost—and all its secrets with it.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Enter the town of Elsinore from one of three entrances: the Bedroom, the Gymnasium, or the Royal Office*. The story commences with different characters' perspectives but all rooms connect and you can explore the entire world from whichever entrance you choose. As a silent witness, follow the characters as the story unfolds around you, or go off the beaten track to discover the secrets of the town. Every choice you make is the right choice, for whatever path you take will uncover the mysteries of Because The Night.
If you are experiencing Because The Night as a group, it is recommended you start at different entrances. Whether you choose to explore together, or split up to discover the world alone, your journey is yours to take as you wish.
* Please note entering from the Royal Office requires ascending and descending a flight of stairs and is not wheelchair accessible.
RULES OF ENTRY
- Audience members must wear a mask and cloak to experience the performance. These garments will be managed in a COVID-Safe way and will be provided to audience members upon entry and collected on exit.
- No touching other audience members or performers during the show.
- No bags or items larger than what can be carried in one hand are permitted in the performance. All bags and large items must be cloaked prior to the performance in the cloaking facilities provided.
- The use of phones is strictly prohibited during the performance. Phones must be must be cloaked and/or must be turned off (not just on silent or airplane mode). Trust us, you won’t need them.
- Photography (including using a smartphone) is prohibited during the performance.
Because The Night is performed to just 60 audience members at a time. The spaces in the performance are designed for audience members to maintain social distancing and are throughly cleaned between performances in line with our COVID-19 venue safety protocols.
|CONCEPT & DIRECTION /||
Kamarra Bell-Wykes, Ra Chapman, Matthew Lutton
|SET DESIGN (ARCHITECTURE) /||
|SET DESIGN (INTERIORS) /||
|ASSOCIATE SET DESIGN (INTERIORS) /||
|COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN /||
J. David Franzke
|LIGHTING DESIGN /||
|COSTUME DESIGN /||
|ASSISTANT DIRECTION /||
Nicole Nabout & Maria Theodorakis
Belinda McClory & Jennifer Vuletic
Khisraw Jones-Shukoor & Keegan Joyce
Ras-Samuel Welda’abzgi & Harvey Zielinski
Tahlee Fereday & Artemis Ioannides
Rodney Afif & Syd Brisbane
Event & ticketing details
Dates & Times
|Evening||Tue – Sun - 6pm, 8.30pm|
|Matinee||Sat - 1pm|
|Standard||$120.00 - + BF|
|Concession||$60.00 - + BF (Government Health Care Card, Student Card, MEAA Membership)|
113 Sturt St, Southbank 3006Get directions
Performance contains haze and smoke effects, coarse language and adult themes.
AGE RESTRICTIONS /
Audience members must be 13 years or older to attend. Audience members under 18 years old must be accompanied by a guardian 18 years or older.
Performance duration is approximately 90 minutes.
Because The Night is fully wheelchair accessible with entry via the Gymnasium and the Bedroom entrances. Please note the three entrances permit access to all rooms of the show. Entering from the Royal Office requires ascending and descending a flight of stairs and is not a wheelchair accessible entrance.
This performance requires audience members to move through the space to experience the show.